Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Caterpillar!


My husband brought home 2 green caterpillars that he found outside on his way home. This was a wonderful and spontaneous activity we did. Observing the caterpillars! I took a short video clip of our caterpillars moving about and you can hear the excitement in their voices! Later that evening we went out to buy a small container for the caterpillars to keep until they turn into a butterfly! They also sell special butterfly kits that come with an order form so you can order your caterpillars. We did that a couple years back and it was a lot of fun!

I really wanted to read the book 'The very hungry caterpillar' by Eric Carl, but I couldn't find it anywhere! So we read this other book that I had on the shelf. It was a fun read. The next video clip is of that story we read.

There's so much you can do with this theme.. So many questions that come up observing the butterfly's .. what do they eat, how many legs do they have, how do they turn into a butterfly, etc. If your children are interested in doing this activity I would recommend a trip to the library
to check out some cool books about butterfly's. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment